When you own a fish tank, you want it to look its best, as well as be the best environment for your fish.
The way you can achieve this is by properly maintaining it with the right products and by taking the right precautions.
We have compiled a list of some of the best products you can use to maintain the look and cleanliness of your fish tank, as well as some awesome accessories, as a cherry on top.
Tips for Cleaning Your Fish Tank
Keeping a fish tank clean can seem frustrating, especially if you are a new fish owner and you are not sure what you need to do.
Fortunately, you can start to develop a system for cleaning and maintaining your tank that will make the whole process a breeze.
Here are some quick tips:
Bringing the water in your fish tank to optimum levels involves the growth of healthy micro-organisms inside the tank, which will help to make the water safe for fish.
Experts recommend letting the tank run on its own for about a week before adding fish to it.
Oftentimes, when you purchase an aquarium at the pet store, it will come with a packet you can use to start the process of growing the right number of microorganisms that will build a balanced environment.
You can also add a small amount of fish food to the tank to start the process of growing microorganisms within the tank.
The most important thing to remember is to wait to add fish to the tank until it is ready, and the proper adjustments and precautions have been taken.
A general rule of thumb is that you should never purchase fish and a fish tank in the same day. The fish tank will take time to get it to the point where it is ready for its inhabitants.
Prior to purchasing a new fish, make sure you do your research to learn about the species, how big they will get, and which fish it will work well with.
It is also important not to overcrowd your fish tank to avoid an unhealthy living situation for your fish.
Some breeds of fish will also not get along with one another, so you need to make sure you do the proper research about which fish will interact best with one another during their time in your tank.
Remember to only feed your fish once per day and do not feed them more than they can eat within a few minutes.
Overfeeding is unhealthy for the fish and it causes the tank to get dirty, as well as leading to the possibility of disease.
Even with taking the proper precautions, your fish tank will still inevitably get dirty, which is why you will need to maintain it with the proper products and cleaning techniques.
More Cleaning Tips
Cleaning your fish tank does not have to be difficult and will be even easier to do once you have a schedule for it.
Here are some tips:
Products for Cleaning Your Fish Tank
Keeping your fish tank clean will require some products to ensure you can keep it maintained.
In no order, here are some of the products we recommend:
- COMPACT: KEDSUM 5.3" magnet aquarium cleaner can handle for 1/2" - 4/5"(12mm-20mm) thickness of glass, compact and ideal for medium glass, like freshwater/saltwater tanks, grass tanks
- FLOATING: Revolutionary magnetic cleaner features floating function, easy to be guided around corners without sinking, no worry of sinking to the bottom of fish tank
- HANDGRIP DESIGN: KEDSUM algae scrubber features unique handle design, convenient to use, user-friendly design makes people feel relaxed and comfortable when using it.
- STRONG MAGNETIC: Powerful magnetic forces control the inside cleaning brush to follow the outside handle. Wipe the outside, the inside is cleaned
- NOTE: Please choose by the thickness of your fish tank glass and not put the cleaner into seawater for a long time to avoid being corroded when not in use
This fish tank cleaner floats inside your fish tank to easily glide around without sinking to remove algae in all areas of the tank.
- Made of fine, soft mesh for fragile fish; Tightly woven
- Reduced chance of catching gills or barbs
- Makes water maintenance easy
- Plastic-coated handle for safe, comfortable grip
- Net size: 5 inches; handle size: 10 inches long
This net is vital for removing your fish from your fish tank so you can take the time to properly clean the tank.
It contains soft nylon mesh to reduce the risk of your fish trapping its gills in the netting.
- Contains one (1) API ALGAE SCRAPER For Glass Aquariums 1-Count Container
- Extra long and extra strong scraper for glass aquariums.
- Quickly removed unsightly algae.
- Extra-long handle keeps your hand from getting wet and supports durable scrubbing pad.
- For use in glass aquariums only. Not for use on acrylic, plexiglass, or any surface other than glass. Do not use on dry surfaces. Rinse pad with tap water before and after each use.
This scraper uses an extra-long handle, which is perfect for scrubbing glass aquariums.
It helps to remove unsightly algae from your fish tank without having to get your hands wet.
- Combats aquarium algae and works to prevent its return
- Effective against green water, blue-green algae, diatoms, and hair algae
- Can be safely used in planted aquariums
This product helps to combat aquarium algae, as well as helping to make sure it does not return.
It is effective against all types of algae and one drop of the product will treat one gallon of water in a tank.
- ღProvides the convenience of a cordless cleaner/siphon
- ღPerforms 3 functions, Gravel Cleaner,Water siphon,Algae cleaner
- ღThe Aquaclean is a powerful 3 in 1 aquarium gravel cleaner, algae remover and water siphon. Since the Aquaclean is battery operated, it eliminates the possibility of electric shock. A simple push of a button operation. The side bag makes it easy to trap debris or simply attach a hose when a water change is needed. The Aquaclean is extendable up to 20" making it ideal for most aquariums.
- ღPackage include: 1Set Vacuum Cleaner,Battery powered, Requires 2 "C" cell 1.5v batteries (not included)
- ღTips: When the water absorber is installed to change the water, it is necessary to submerge the nose and the water outlet in the water, and then start the switch. When the water out of the water outlet, it can improve the sand scrubber, the nose and outlet out of the water
This cleaning product helps to clean gravel inside the tank, siphon fish waste and other dirt out, and spot clean around the tank.
It is ideal for quick spot cleaning in between deep cleanings of the tank.
- Contains one (1) API ALGAE PAD For Acrylic Aquariums 1-Count Container
- Quickly removes unsightly algae from acrylic aquariums.
- Durable scrubbing pad comes with hand-held control to clean nooks and crannies.
- For use on acrylic aquariums only.
- Use to rid acrylic aquariums of unsightly algae
This pad will come in handy when it is time to do a deep cleaning on your fish tank, as it will effectively remove algae buildup from the sides of your fish tank.
Its rough brillo-like texture will grip any algae on the tank walls and remove it quickly and efficiently.
- BESEDER CLEAN FISH TANK with these scientifically advanced enzymes, that removes from water the harmful nitrites and ammonia
- HAPPIER FISH with far fewer fish deaths. Now you can grow big, beautiful, mature fish. All natural and eco-friendly.
- JUST 2 CAPSULE IN MONTH is all it takes to the biological balance of 100 liters of aquarium water. Contains a high concentration of helpful microorganisms.
- Biological preparation BESEDER for use in aquariums, fish tanks and ponds, namely, for their CLEANING & REVITALIZING.
- Completely safe for fish, pets, and humans. Helps keep aquarium glass clean
These tablets contain enzymes that remove harmful nitrates and ammonia from fish tank water.
Just two capsules per month is all it takes to keep the biological balance of the water in store and provide the microorganisms your tank needs to thrive.
Make sure you read the instructions on the tablet package to make sure you are using the proper amount for the water level in your tank.
- PREVENT YOUR PETS FROM CONTAMINATION: Every aquarium owner knows how sensitive fish and aquatic life is. A direct contact of your skin with them or the water that they live in, might contaminate the water and cause its inhabitants allergic reactions. To prevent this unfortunate situation, use SunGrow Aquarium Gloves whenever you perform aquarium tasks, be it shifting the fish or just playing with them with your hands in water.
- PERFECT MATCH FOR SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZED AQUARIUMS --- A unique blend of latex and PVC creates a durable waterproof exterior while a soft fine Cashmere lining provides a warm, comfortable interior. Please note that the purple part of the glove is not waterproof. The pair of gloves is perfectly fit for using in small aquariums ranging two to ten gallons.
- ARM LENGTH WITH SEAMLESS STITCHING & ELASTIC CUFF --- Keep your hands, arms and sleeves free from water with the extra long 19.6 inches (50 cm) SunGrow Aquarium Gloves with superior seamless stitching. A secure elastic cuff around the wrist of each glove ensures that the SunGrow Aquarium Gloves won't slide down or fall off while you are wearing them, adding even more protection from water and marine life.
- ANTI SKIDDING DESIGN FOR ADDED SAFETY --- The innovative anti skidding surface of the SunGrow Aquarium Gloves comes is very convenient when handling sensitive aquatic life such as coral, sea anemone and crustaceans.
- DIFFERENT ALTERNATE USES OTHER THAN AQUARIUM MAINTENANCE --- Beyond standard aquarium maintenance, the versatile SunGrow Aquarium Gloves are also useful for a variety of other household tasks such as hand washing your cars, cleaning the bathroom and dish washing.
These extra-long gloves will come in handy any time you need to remove anything from your fish tank or clean it, as they will cover your entire arm.
They have not been treated with any chemicals, so they are safe to use within the fish tank.
Best Accessories for Your Fish Tank
Along with using these products mentioned above, there are also fun ways to accessorize your fish tank that can help to bring it to life and give it some flair.
Think about the style you are trying to achieve and how you want your fish tank to look.
There are thousands of products available on the market to help accessorize your fish tank, so have fun with it.
Some of these products can also have practical purposes that will help you understand more about the function of the fish tank and when it needs to be maintained.
These products include:
- Designed for fish tanks up to 10 gallons
- Automatically cycle the colors of the rainbow or pause on your favorite color
- LEDs light the mushroom from the bottom
- Coordinates with Tetra Wonderland Collection LED Jellyfish, the Wonderland Blue Anemone and Wonderland Plants
This thermometer has a large, easy to read display with an easy to apply suction cup, so you can place it wherever you would like.
It will help you keep track of the temperature of the water within your fish tank, so you can adjust as necessary, depending on the needs of your fish.
Tetra Wonderland Collection LED Color-Changing Mushroom, from $13.91 to $14.91.
This light was designed for fish tanks up to 10 gallons and will automatically cycle all different colors of the rainbow or pause on the color of your choice.
This can help to make the fish tank have a more fun and light appeal.
- Creates a healthy and decorative volcano of bubbles
- Submersible multi-colored LED lights add beauty to your aquarium
- Natural pores let airflow through to diffuse oxygen into the water and keep fish and invertebrates healthy
- Easy to install and makes for a soothing column of fizzy bubbles that looks great in any aquatic landscape
- Package : Air Stone Disk with suction cup, 3/16 in. Airline Tubing and power adapter. Air pump is not included
Decorate your aquarium and bring it to life with the multi-color bubble generator.
It is easy to operate and will help give your fish tank some personal style and flair.
- 【6 in 1 MULTIFUNCTION】: Aquarium clean tools including an aquarium net,a fish net ,an algae scraper,a window sponge, a plant fork and a gravel rake,perfect for removing the dirty things from the bottom of your tank effectively.
- 【TELESCOPIC HANDLE】 :Special buckle design, stretching freely, tight and not to fall off .It can be adjustable from 0.85ft to 2.85ft, it's longer enough to clean your aquarium fish tank clear without wetting your hands.
- 【DURABLE ABS PLASTIC】 : It's made of Sturdy ABS plastic for long-lasting use for many years without bending or breaking. It is a must have tool for all home aquariums!
- 【EASY TO INSTALL AND USE】 : The aquarium cleaning kits is easy to install and remove. Just assemble the handle and accessory holder to the rod,tighten the connection for the length you want for catching shrimp, beta and guppies easily.
- 【SERVICE WARRANTY】: Your satisfaction is our lifetime goal. We are committed to providing you with the most satisfactory products. The package includes 6 tools heads with 1 handle. If you discover some parts missing when you receive it,contact us,we promise to resend it.
This faux anemone will help give your fish tank an appearance like the ocean floor, with soft material that is safe for your fish.
- Material:soft silicone; Size:(approx) 5x14cm/2.0x5.5inches
- Incredibly detailed imitation floating and glowing(triggered by enviroment lights) jellyfish
- Ideal decoration for the fish tank and aquariumHarmless to All Fish
- Simply apply it to the tank wall,the jellyfish is tied by thin invisible line and suction cup
- Package include: 1 x glowing jellyfish
Simply apply this fun jellyfish décor to the inside of your fish tank and watch it go!
It imitates a floating jellyfish and even glows to bring some light and color to your aquarium.
Price & Rating
5.3"*2.83"*3.62" [Handgrip space: 1.46"(H) * 3.03"(L)]
3 inch net
0.5 x 3.5 x 2.5 inches
2.5 x 3.2 x 18 inches
1.2 x 2.2 x 4.8 inches
1.2 x 4.8 x 6.5 inches
0.4 x 0.2 x 0.2 inches
Short 14"/Long 18"
4.3 x 4.3 x 5.5 inches
5.1 x 4.7 x 3.3 inches
2 x 3 x 3 inches
3 x 3 x 1 in
Keeping your fish happy and healthy can be easy when you properly clean and maintain their fish tank environment.
The products we mentioned will help you develop a great system for keeping up with this maintenance schedule, as well as ensuring you take all the proper precautions for doing so.
When you are considering accessorizing your fish tank, have fun with it and think about what objects fit whatever theme you are striving to achieve.
The sky is truly the limit when it comes to building the fish tank that suits your interests, as long as your fish are properly taken care of in the process.