We love dogs, but sometimes they can get pretty gross and smelly. Washing your dog can be a difficult process, especially when you don’t know what type of shampoo they need.
In this post, we’ll learn about the best methods for getting your pup clean with the right dog shampoo.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Shampoo
If you’re a new pet owner, you may be a bit overwhelmed with the process of cleaning your dog. To help ease your anxiety, we put together a list of frequently asked questions about the best methods for bathing your dog.
Why Can’t I Use My Own Shampoo?
Dogs and humans are very different, so they have different needs when it comes to getting clean. Human shampoos have different PH levels than dog shampoos, and often use stronger detergents and scents.
Using a shampoo formulated for human hair can dry out your dog’s skin, or even lead to an allergic reaction. This is why we recommend that you only use shampoo specifically designed for your dog’s coat.
How Often Should I Bathe My Dog?
Unless your dog has sensitive skin, there is no required bathing schedule. The frequency of bathing depends on a variety of things, including their breed, length of coat, and how active they are.
If you are unsure of how often you need to bathe your dog, take some time to do research on the dog’s breed. As a rule of thumb, you should try to give your dog a bath at least once a month.
Do I Need to Use Conditioner on My Dog?
While humans need conditioner to keep their hair smooth, you can typically skip this step when it comes to bathing dogs. Conditioner is not necessary for a proper bath, especially if you are only washing them once a month.
There are merits to applying a coat of conditioner on your dog after a bath. Dog fur conditioners help seal your pup’s coat, making it easier to brush and dry. If your dog needs frequent baths, we recommend that you apply conditioner after each wash.
Can I Use Shampoo on My Dog with Allergies?
Some dogs have extremely sensitive skin, which can be irritated by harsh detergents and scents. If you notice that your dog has a reaction to shampooing, you may want to switch up your shampoo brand. There are plenty of hypo-allergenic shampoo options that will give your dog a good clean without irritating their skin.
When searching for hypo-allergenic shampoos, look for brands that advertise a soap-free formula with natural ingredients. This includes ingredients such as aloe vera, oatmeal, vitamin E, and fatty acids.
A Brief Guide to Bathing Your Dog
Bathing your dog can be a difficult process, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing. Here is a brief guide on how to successfully give your dog a scrub down.
Best Anti-Itch Dog Shampoos
Dogs with sensitive skin need to be bathed more often than those without, and often require specially medicated shampoos. Here are three of the top anti-itch dog shampoos that we have to offer.
- TropiClean's OxyMed Anti-Itch Shampoo is specifically formulated for pets with itchy, dry skin caused by allergies
- Applicable for all ages and all sensitivities
- Provides immediate relief and freshness
This itch relief shampoo helps soothe skin with micronized oatmeal and vitamin E ingredients. The alpha-hydroxy element helps get deep into your pet’s coat and skin, clearing out pores and loosening dirt and allergens.
This shampoo is soap free, so it will not interfere with flea or tick treatments.
- Zymox Enzymatic Rinse Is Gentle On The Skin Yet Tough On Bacterial And Fungal Infections
- 3-point enzyme system
- Helps destroy bacteria
- Destroy fungi that cause skin infections
The Zymox Pet Enzymatic Shampoo is formulated to defend against microbes that can infect a dog’s skin. It uses mild plant-based ingredients that give a deep clean without irritating or drying out the skin.
This shampoo uses vitamin D3 to help alleviate irritated skin while simultaneously adding more moisture. It has a mild, pleasant scent that won’t overpower.
- FAST RELIEF - Vet's Best Hot Spot Dog Shampoo has a natural formula that provides fast relief for itchy, dry, and irritated skin.
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Key natural ingredients include a soothing mixture of tea tree oil, aloe vera, and chamomile to relieve red, inflamed skin from itching and scratching.
- NO-STING FORMULA - Our alcohol-free, no-sting formula provides soothing relief for red, raw, or inflamed skin.
- WORKS WITH OTHER TREATMENTS - Will not affect topical flea and tick control products, and safe to use on dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- VET'S FORMULA - Veterinarian formulated and recommended, and made in the USA.
The Vet’s Best Hot Spot Shampoo for Dogs provides fast relief for dogs who suffer from itchy and dry skin. The natural formula includes soothing ingredients such as tea tree oil, aloe vera, and chamomile.
This shampoo was formulated by veterinarians, and has been thoroughly tested to provide the maximum relief for red and itchy skin.
Best Flea Medication Dog Shampoos
When your dog has fleas, you’ll want to take care of them as soon as possible. Besides flea treatments, medicated shampoo is one of the best ways to kill those nasty pets. Here are three anti-flea shampoos that will kill fleas and keep your dog clean.
- Kills fleas, flea eggs, Brown Dog ticks, American Dog ticks, and lice
- Breaks the flea life cycle
- Very useful in cleansing and also deodorizes
- For dogs, puppies, cat and kittens
Adams is a brand known for their safe and effective flea and tick control products. Their Flea & Tick Cleansing Shampoo kills fleas, ticks, and lice. It can also kill flea eggs, and helps prevent new eggs from hatching for 30 days.
This shampoo can be used regularly, and helps clean and deodorize your dog while simultaneously protecting them from pesky pests.
- Enriches dog's skin and coat with Vitamin E & Jojoba Oil leaves a soft peach fragrance that lasts for weeks.
- Salt Free
- TEAR FREE - PH Balanced to match dog's eye
- SOLVES PROBLEMS!
- Highly Concentrated for 2x More Washes Per Bottle than other brands
This is an all-around flea and tick shampoo that can be used on dogs, cats, ferrets, and even horses. The No-Bite Flea and Tick Shampoo kills fleas on contact, and helps prevent flea eggs from hatching.
This shampoo also cleans and conditions your dog’s fur, leaving behind no sticky or oily residue.
- Fresh `n Clean Flea and Tick Conditioning Shampoo conditions your pet's coat as it kills adult fleas and ticks
- Formulated with natural pyrethrins to quickly kill fleas and ticks without the harsh chemicals
- It creates a pleasing fragrance that lasts up to two weeks
- Fragrance lasts up to 2 weeks
This popular brand of medicated shampoo eliminates fleas and ticks without drying out your dog’s skin. It is formulated with natural ingredients that quickly kill pests without exposing your dog to harsh chemicals.
Keep in mind that this brand of shampoo will not kill flea eggs, so it’s recommended to mix this shampoo with other flea treatments.
Best Dog Shampoos for Shedding
Shedding can be a huge problem, especially if you have a dog with a thick coat of fur. Below are three shampoo options that will help you keep your dog’s shedding under control.
- Cut down on dog hair on your clothes and furniture
- Reduces Shedding Shampoo helps prevent excess shedding
- It works by supporting your dog's healthy, lustrous, and strong coat
- Specially formulated with Omega-3 Fatty Acids to nourish your dog's fur
- Reduces Shedding Shampoo rinses clean and leaves behind a light honey-vanilla scent
Magic Coat’s Shed-Reducing Shampoo is made with a compound of omega-3 fatty acids that aim to help reduce shedding. Its special formula is safe for all fur types, but typically best for dogs with a heavy coat.
This shampoo is paraben-free and leaves behind a fresh honey vanilla scent that lasts for days.
- Made in the USA; Soap free
- Packaging may vary; Classic Fresh scent
- Gives coat a shimmering sheen, pleasant scent and beautiful look and feel
- Nourishes skin and coat
- This item is not a manufacturer-created variety pack and will not be sent in the original manufacturer's packaging
This shampoo helps to gently pull loose hair free to prevent major shedding throughout the house. The omega-3 fatty oils also help seal your dog’s hair to help keep it attached to their coat through the heavy shedding season.
The Fresh ‘n Clean Deshedding Shampoo is safe for frequent use, and gentle enough to be used on elder dogs and puppies.
- Supports optimal skin and coat health: anti-inflammatory, hypoallergenic, works to enhance your dog or cat's natural immune system against dermatological disorders
- Retains pet's essential oils to keep their skin healthy and their coat shiny
- Leaves pet smelling clean and fresh
- Easy spray application with instant foaming action leads to less wasted product, meaning more washes per bottle
- Rinsing and conditioning specifically formulated for your pet's coat type
The Foamcare Pet Shampoo High Density for Thick Coats helps promote optimal coat health with an anti-inflammatory and hypoallergenic formula. This special shampoo protects a dog’s natural oils to keep their skin healthy and their fur attached.
There are other variations of this shampoo for other types of dogs, including a formula for fine or moderate coats.
Best Natural Ingredient Dog Shampoos
If your dog has a reaction to harsh detergents and scents, it’s best to go for a shampoo that only uses natural ingredients. Here are three of our top dog shampoos made from organic ingredients that are safe for your dog’s skin.
- Gently cleanses without harsh soaps or detergents
- Moisturizes dry flaky skin and volumizes coat
- Adds high gloss shine to coat
- Brightens and intensifies all colors
- Rinses out easily leaving no residue
This natural shampoo leaves your dog’s hair completely clean, without leaving behind any oily residue. It uses natural botanical extracts to gently lift dirt and allergens from the coat, leaving behind a brilliant shine.
This shampoo is also known to brighten your dog’s coat colors, and helps keep white coats looking pure and clean.
- Leaves coat soft, shiny and tangle free and is a compliment to any Natural Chemistry's Natural Dog Conditioners
- Specifically formulated with Colloidal Oatmeal and Chamomile to provide rich conditioning while soothing and nourishing skin and coat
- 100% All natural, pH balanced, fragrance free, paraben free, biodegradable, soap free
- Soothes and speeds healing of dry, irritated skin and moisturizes while revitalizing dry coats.
- Will not wash out spot-on" flea & tick protection"
Oatmeal and chamomile are well known for their gentle and conditioning cleansing properties. The Natural Chemistry Oatmeal & Chamomile Shampoo leaves your dog’s coat feeling soft and looking extra shiny.
This shampoo has 100% natural ingredients that are pH balanced, paraben free, soap free, and fragrance free.
- RELIEF FOR SENSITIVE SKIN - Vet's Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo for Sensitive Skin is a gentle, soap-free shampoo for dogs that relieves itching and helps to smooth dry, brittle coats.
- NATURAL REMEDY - We use a veterinarian formulated blend of key natural ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E to comfort and relieve your pet.
- USE AS NEEDED - Vet's Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo may be used as often as necessary to remove allergens without drying out your dog's skin.
- WORKS WITH OTHER TREATMENTS - Will not affect topical flea and tick control products.
- TOTAL CARE - Vet's Best Hypo-Allergenic Dog Shampoo is part of our complete treatment system for dry and sensitive skin. Use with Vet's Best Moisture Mist and Vet's Best Ear Relief Wash & Dry.
This natural shampoo was formulated specifically for dogs with sensitive skin that is prone to allergic reactions. It uses a veterinarian-approved blend of natural ingredients, such as aloe vera and vitamin E.
The soap-free shampoo is gentle enough for frequent use, making it a great option for pets with serious skin and coat issues.
Best Combination Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
Conditioners help seal a dog’s coat and keep their fur looking and feeling smooth. At Pro Pet Supplies, we know it can be difficult to keep your dog settled during bath time. These combination shampoo and conditioners are just what the doctor ordered for a finicky pup with a thick coat.
- Made in the usa-no need to worry about unlabeled contents and ingredients
- Does not strip away the natural; moisturizing oils in the pet s skin
- Naturals are detergent-free and contain no drying soaps; they are safe to use with topical or oral flea and tick medications
This creamy combination formula works deep into the fur to cleanse and condition all at once. It has natural ingredients such as coconut, lanol extract, and shea butter for a deep, soothing cleanse.
The Durvet Naturals 2-in-1 Conditioning Shampoo lacks any products with soap or alcohol, making it gentle enough for frequent use.
- Developed specifically for dogs with medium coats
- Protein and minerals strengthen and nourish the coat
- Hydrates the skin with moisture-rich humectants
- Silk protein leaves the skin soft with a smooth, shiny, east-to-comb coat
Fresh ‘n Clean’s 2-in-1 Shampoo/Conditioner allows dog owners to clean and condition their pet in one simple step. It uses soothing ingredients such as vitamin E & aloe to clean, strengthen and repair your dog’s coat.
The gentle baby powder scent is not overpowering, and will leave your dog smelling clean for up to two weeks.
- All Natural
- 70% Organic
- Soap and Detergent Free
- Green Packaging
- For Cats and Dogs
The tropical scent of papaya and coconut make this one of the best smelling shampoos on our list. It cleans and conditions your dog’s coat, all without the use of harsh soaps and detergents.
The Tropiclean Papaya and Coconut Shampoo/Conditioner is made from all-natural ingredients that are 70% organic.
Price & Rating
9.5 x 3 x 3 inches
2.2 x 2.2 x 8.2 inches
2.5 x 2.5 x 8.5 inches
2.3 x 2.3 x 7.1 inches
2 x 2 x 7.5 inches
3.5 x 1.8 x 9 inches
1.8 x 3.2 x 9 inches
9.1 x 1.8 x 3.4 inches
3 x 3 x 8.5 inches
8.5 x 2.4 x 8.5 inches
2.5 x 2.5 x 8.6 inches
2.5 x 2.5 x 8.5 inches
2.5 x 2.5 x 8.8 inches
3.2 x 3.6 x 7.7 inches
Our Final Thoughts on Choosing the Right Dog Shampoo
Washing your dog helps keeps their coat clean and their skin free of irritation. There’s no general standard for bathing a dog, as each coat is completely unique.
If you’re unsure of the best shampoo for your dog, we recommend talking to your vet or personal groomer. They will give you the insight you need on the best type of shampoo for your dog.