Once you’ve decided to add a new furry friend to your family, there are quite a few things that you’ll need to add to your shopping list. Just like any other member of the family, your new dog will need a few things, such as food, bowls, a collar and a dog leash. Even if your new furry friend is a well-trained dog, a leash is a vital accessory for Fido, and here is why.
Dog Leashes Aren’t Just Accessories
For many individuals, dog leashes are simply just another fun accessory. It’s true, dog leashes can be a fun way of accessorizing Freda and Fido for your walk around the block. However, they are also vital pieces for both training purposes, and in many places, it is the law to have your dog leashed while outside.
Sure, not every state has a leash law for animals, but many individual cities or counties might, and it is essential that those laws be adhered to.
Leash laws are generally put into place for both the safety of the animals, but for the overall safety of the public. Many of these laws require at least that a dog leash is to be used while on public property such as schools, shops, and parks. This helps to ensure that the dog doesn’t get spooked and attack someone or another animal, or run off and get lost.
Why risk the wellbeing of your pup or those around you by letting your little friend off leash? Is it really worth it in the long run?
Yes, you read that right. Keeping your dog on a leash is a great form of doggy birth control. Let’s face it, not all dog owners spay or neuter their dogs, and in many cases, that is because they wish to breed them later on.
If this is the case, and you allow your pet to walk or run off leash in public, there is a much higher chance of random mating and unwanted babies. Keeping your pet on a dog leash helps to control those random situations and gives you greater control over when your little one reproduces.
Dogs get sick, just like anyone else. They can have accidents that lead to injuries and other more invasive treatments as well. By allowing your dog to walk or run off leash, your pet is at greater risk of contracting a bug by sniffing, licking or eating random objects off the ground. They are also at a greater risk of injury if they were to run off and get hit by oncoming traffic or attacked by another animal.
Keeping your dog leashed helps to minimize these occurrences, and therefore help to lower your vet bills. The healthier Fido is, the less likely he will need to visit his vet friend.
Watching your pet when they are hurt or not feeling well can be heartbreaking. Watching your dog get hit by a car as they run off into traffic or get attacked by an unknown dog on the street is downright terrifying.
Dogs that are leashed are less likely to get away and end up trapped in a busy street. They are also less likely to approach a strange dog that they don’t know, which could lead to attacks. The dog leash gives you better control over your animal and helps to keep them safe.
Leasing your dog not only helps keep them and others safe, but it also helps you be a better dog parent. Keeping your dog on a leash while you are out and about means that you can keep a closer eye on them and that means that you’ll be able to clean up after them after they do their business quickly.
Nobody likes to step in a doggy doo-doo accidentally, and we all silently curse those that don’t pick up after his or her dogs. So by leashing your dog, you know when they go and can quickly pick it up and properly dispose of it in a timely manner.
This is something all parent’s fear, human and pet alike. There are people out there that have no problem stealing off-leash pets. Why? Because they can easily be sold for money or given away as gifts for others and many other disgusting reasons…
Keeping your dog on a leash, even when playing in the yard is a great way to keep your little one safe from predators looking to snatch them away from you.
Top 13 Pro Pet Supplies Dog Leashes You Should Consider
As we mentioned above, dog leashes are not just a neat accessory for your pup but are an essential item in your dog care supply. We know they are important to help keep your fur-babies safe, so we’ve provided you with a variety of different options to choose from.
Below, we have listed some of our top dog leashes for you to check out, and who knows, you may find a little something new for little Fido.
Consumer Ratings: 4.6/5
Ribbon overlay leads are popular amongst pet owners because they feature fun patterns and designs. They are a great way to bring out your pet’s personal style while keeping them safe from harm while out on your walks.
- Strength tested hardware
- Custom dyed fade resistant nylon
- Rich, more vibrant colors
- Great looking dog lead
- Available in 2, 4, 6 ft. Lengths
Consumer Ratings: 4.4/5
Nylon dog leashes are the more traditional form of dog lead chosen by dog owners. While nylon dog leashes are more flexible, they are still very strong, especially when a double thick nylon leash is chosen. Nylon leashes come in a variety of different colors and patterns with enough options to suit every dog’s personal style.
- Plated chain leash is Anti-rust Anti-tarnish Anit-knot durable for long time use
- Strong Pulling against excited dogs by useing Stainless Steel Chain Leash
- Argon welded any chain point avoid break no harm to dog skin
- Soft Nylon handle for comfortable when holding leash
- Basic Training Wlking Leash Heavy-duty for durable but not too heavy for dogs, convenient for storage,fit for different sized breads
Consumer Ratings: 4.4/5
Steel chain dog leads are an option for those dogs that like to pull because these leads have no give to them. The swiveled heavy-duty bolt snap is strength tested to exceed industry standards, and the hardware is fully guaranteed against rust, tarnish or breakage. The nylon webbing that is used for the loop handle is 100% first fun, professional grade and is said to outperform all others in not only strength and flexibility, but in durability as well.
- soft latigo leather
- snap is highest quality 100% Stainless Steel - NOT chrome plated
- snaps are sewn and then pop riveted to insure the highest security available
- handmade by the amish
Consumer Ratings: 4.3/5
Leather leads are a great way to up your pup’s style profile and give it a classic American look, no matter what the breed. Each of these leads is stitched with strong leather resistant thread and edged and dyed to give these leads a stunning color.
- Retractable Tape Dog Leash Extends up to 26 Feet
- Supports Dogs up to 110 Pounds
- Packaging Includes Safety Collar & Directions Pamphlet
- Made in Germany & Covered by Limited Manufacturer Warranty
- Product Dimensions: 8.00 x 5.25 x 1.55
Consumer Ratings: 4.2/5
Flexi retractable leashes come in a number of different collections, each with a variety of sizes, colors, and accessories. These dog leashes are designed with both the dog and its owner in mind thanks to neat accessories like an attached treat compartment on some models, and attached poop bag holder on others.
- Durable; comfortable nylon leash
- Hands-free convenience and independence
- Great for on-leash training; jogging; and hiking
- Designed to safely and comfortably walk a dog without having to hold on to a leash!
- Great for on-leash training, jogging and hiking
Consumer Ratings: 4.1/5
This hands-free leash gives you the freedom to walk your dog without having to hold on to the leash itself. This dog leash attaches to the fully adjustable belt, so your dog can move when you do.
- Made of durable Nylon material,can withstand lots of wear and tear.
- Double-sided woven reflective stitching and one fluorescent green reflective thread increase visibility to keep your dogs safe from dawn to dusk.
- With the two reflective stitching and the fluorescent green reflective thread throughout, make the dog leash more stylish
- Not for chewing. Do not leave dog unattended with product.
- Itery dog leash is perfect choice for the owner who like to walking or running with their dogs.
Consumer Ratings: 4.0/5
Reflective leashes are not only great at night, but for walking in gloomy, rainy or snowy weather. These leashes are designed to be seen, and with genuine 3M reflective stripping on the double layer nylon webbing, it will be.
- VET AND TRAINER RECOMMENDED: Created by a veterinary behaviorist over 30 years ago, the Gentle Leader Headcollar puts pet parents in control of the leash
- SAFE SOLUTION FOR PULLING: Immediately, gently and safely controls unwanted behaviors like excessive leash pulling, lunging and jumping
- QUICK AND EASY TO FIT: Easily fit the headcollar on your dog in just a few minutes using the adjustable nose loop and quick snap neck strap
- 1 YEAR CHEW DAMAGE REPLACEMENT: If your pooch decides to turn the harness into a chew toy, we will replace it for a minimal fee
- COMFORT FIT: It has a comfortable neoprene padded nose loop and the headcollar puts pressure on the back of the neck instead of your dog's throat, which prevents choking and coughing
Consumer Ratings: 4.0/5
This dog headcollar fits securely over your dog’s nose, and the loop helps to redirect his head towards you whenever he starts to pull forward. This helps prevent pulling and helps give you his full attention. Better yet, this collar sits high on the dog’s neck without putting any pressure on their throat.
Consumer Ratings: 4.0/5
Our leather twisted leads are a step up in the fashion accessory world when compared to the straight leather leads. These leads featured a twisted/braided look to it both at the start of the lead and the bottom.
- Perfect for introducing and teaching recall cues
- Great for teaching distance with cues
- Snap easily attaches to collars and harnesses
- Not for tie out
- Color - Green
Consumer Ratings: 3.8/5
These cotton web leashes are for teaching your dog to obey commands such as stay and fetch. These leashes are highly recommended by professional trainers due to their strength and comfort and come in a variety of different lengths.
- The convenience of collar and lead in one
- Lightweight yet strong enough for full control
- Connections reinforced with top quality leather
- Tight nylon weave ensures strength and durability
- Also Available in multiple color weave combinations and design patterns
Consumer Ratings: 3.8/5
These London quick leads offer both the convenience of a collar and lead all in one. While they are lightweight, they are still strong enough, offering Fido’s human friend full control. The tight nylon weave helps to ensure both strength and durability while connections are each reinforced with top quality leather.
- 16' Retractable Wide, Flat Neon with Reflective Stitching (Not a Thin, Round Cord!)
- Supports Dogs Up to 45 lbs
- Super Soft Grip Handle
- Covered by a Two Year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Matching Nylon Collars & Harnesses Available
Consumer Ratings: 3.2/5
These leashes are designed to give your pup freedom during your walk without sacrificing both safety and comfort. These leashes feature super soft grip handles and reflective belts built with high-quality materials. These retractable leashes come in a variety of sizes and colors.
- RECHARGEABLE via USB - cable included. Never buy batteries again!
- NEW DESIGN: ULTRA bright using 4 x high output LED instead of 2
- Hours of walk time - up to 10 hours of light per charge, simply recharge for just 30 min
- DURABLE + WEATHER RESISTANT - Uses Fiber Optics not WIRE LED, insulated system withstands weather.
- 3 Modes: Continuous ON, Rapid Flashing, Stead Flasing
Consumer Ratings: 2.8/5
These dog leashes are great for nighttime walks with Freida and Fido because they are visible up to 1000 feet in the dark! This leash features an LED on/off switch and three different light modes: constant on, slow flash and fast flash. The one-hour built-in timer helps to preserve battery life.
Don’t Take the Risk, Leash Your Dog
Dog leashes are tools that every dog owner should have in their arsenal. We listed only a handful of reasons why dog leashes are important and have provided a number of wonderful options to choose from.
We know that leashing your pet can sometimes seem restrictive, but why chance something bad happening to your beloved pet? Even when left in a fenced-in backyard, dogs are at risk of breaking out or predators breaking in and taking them for any number of reasons.
Not only are you preventing your dog from running off and or being taken from you, but you are also protecting them from any number of illnesses that they could possibly contract by sniffing or eating while they wander around in unknown areas.
So, next time you are considering letting your precious pooch out without a dog leash, ask yourself if it is really worth it? Is it worth the possibility of your beloved pet getting sick? Lost? Alternatively, worse, killed?
We don’t think it is… So, remember to leash up Fido, and you’ll have the peace of mind knowing that he will be coming home where he belongs.