Your dog deserves the best. Of course, you know that. But when it comes to what you feed her, it’s easy to settle for something other than the best wet dog food. After all, it seems like your dog will eat just about anything you give her.
But the best wet dog foot will provide your pooch with numerous health benefits. And it will taste better too!
But there are a lot of options out there. And there are also ingredients you have to think about. Does your dog like chicken? Beef? Lamb? These are questions you should consider while looking for the best wet dog food.
FAQs About the Best Wet Dog Food
There are a lot of misconceptions about wet dog food like it's bad for your dog and will upset their stomach. Your dog will get the best wet dog food when you start asking the crucial questions.
What is wet dog food?
Wet dog food is about 75 to 80 percent of water. It’s typically made up of animal byproduct. The things we don’t want, like the kidneys, liver, and intestines. While that sounds gross, pets love it! They’re still a great source of protein.
While wet dog food and dry dog food have similar ingredients, wet dog food is usually considered more authentic, since it has more meat overall.
Is wet dog food good for my dog?
Generally speaking, wet dog food greatly benefits for your dog. Many have reported that wet dog food gives their dog diarrhea, so they don’t buy it for them. While these reports are often accurate, the issue isn’t the wet dog food itself -- it’s the sudden change in diet.
Yes, wet dog food is most likely fine for your dog. Most brands are full of natural and clean ingredients. If your dog is used to dry food, they might experience digestive issues for some time.
While it’s nothing to be concerned about, it’s always a good idea to get a second opinion from your veterinarian. Most dogs can eat wet dog food, but if your dog's issues persist, it’s a good idea to see a vet.
How should I store wet dog food?
The biggest concern for wet dog food is the chance that will go bad. The moisture in wet dog food is the ideal breeding ground of bacteria. So you have to be careful with how you store it because you don’t want a nasty smell.
Eating bad wet dog food is also bad for your dogs. So make sure that you apply the resealable lid every time if that is an option. If not, make sure you wrap it up in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge to keep it nice and fresh. Also, be mindful of expiration dates.
Where can I buy the best wet dog food?
You can purchase wet dog food just about anywhere. But if you want the best deals and the best options, check online for the best wet dog food. Amazon always has options, but if you can’t find what you’re looking for, the company's official website is always a good place to look.
Make sure you check out all your options before making a purchase. Something might be cheaper on Amazon than the official website, and vice versa.
Wet Dog Food vs. Dry Dog Food
Many people swear by their dogs kibble, though and if you ask them, they might tell you their dogs prefer dry food. That might be the case for them. Let your dog try both if you aren’t sure.
You can lead your dog to its bowl of water, but whether or not he takes a drink depends on them. Dogs that don’t drink enough water should be eating wet dog food. That's especially true in the summer months when your dog is running around.
Not only that, wet dog food is soft enough for dogs with gum issues or missing teeth. Consider this before giving them the hard stuff.
One benefit dry dog food has over wet dog food is its ability to clean your dog's teeth. A dog who eats exclusively wet dog food may have more dental issues in the long run. That is, of course, unless your brush your dog's teeth weekly. If you do that, you have nothing to worry about.
For convenience's sake, dry dog food wins a little bit. It’s easy just to pour them a bowl and let it sit for a while without it getting gross. Your dog can slowly eat it throughout the day when he gets hungry if you just leave it out for them.
You don’t have to refrigerate dry dog food and storing it is super easy. Not to mention, dry dog food also tends to be cheaper.
It’s up to you which one you choose, but remember to consider how your dog feels as well.
How We Reviewed
When it comes to the best wet dog food, we had to ask the experts. We looked at not only Amazon and Google reviews, but we also looked at what the professionals had to say as well. That means we’re looking at the overall health benefits, taste, and quality of the food.
So if you've been giving your pet dry kibble for a while now and want to test out wet dog food, consider what the experts have to say.
The Top 8 Best Wet Dog Food Choices
With so many options out there, how could any pet owner ever choose just one? You could start with a formula you trust. Or you could go with the best flavor option. Does your dog like chicken, beef, or fish flavors?
Ask yourself these questions while you review the best wet dog food options.
Most brands come in a variety of flavors and slightly differing formulas. Some are grain free, and others are for adult dogs and some for puppies. You may also find some for big breeds and some for small breeds.
Choose carefully because these labels exist for dietary reasons. Also, there may be a price difference with these options.
1. Hill's Science Diet Wet Dog Food
- High quality protein to help your adult dog build and maintain lean muscles
- Made with purposeful, easily digestible ingredients grown dogs Enjoy
- Mix up meal time with Hill's Science Diet adult savory stew with chicken and Vegetables
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
Many professional reviewers believe Hill’s Science Diet Wet Dog Food to be the best one. In terms of using only high-quality ingredients and nothing else, this one comes out on top. Because of its nutritional value, veterinarians also highly recommend this brand.
It’s a high protein food source that is great for adult dogs. The all natural ingredients themselves are easy to consume and digest, so if you’re worried about your dog having digestive issues with wet dog food, consider Hill’s science.
You can find this product on Amazon in a pack of 12. It comes in two flavors: beef and vegetables, as well as chicken and vegetables. User reviews praise the food, considering that their dogs love the product.
The only thing that users have complained about is consistently dented cans. Whether or not the problem has been resolved remains to be seen, but dog owners should be wary of feeding their dogs anything from a damaged or dented can.
This one currently has a 4.0 out of 5 on Amazon.
2. Wellness Complete Health Natural Canned Dog Food Senior Formula
- Complete Health: 100% Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Quality Ingredients: Delicious Pate Made With Quality Proteins, Including Premium Chicken Combined With Essential Vitamins And Minerals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients
- Made In North America: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In North America
The Wellness Complete is the best wet dog food if you want to give your dog a healthy dose of protein. That’s what it’s formulated to do, after all. Not only that, but your dog will likely love the taste.
They’ll get their daily dose of meats, vegetables, vitamins, minerals, and their proteins. These ingredients are all natural, too.
Wellness Complete Health can be found on Amazon as well. With a rating of 4.1 out of 5 on Amazon, the reviews are mostly positive. One of the reviewers even stated that their dog had a UTI, and the doctor recommended this brand. According to them, it helped quite a bit.
3. Purina ALPO Chop House Wet Dog Food
- Twelve (12) 13.2 oz. Cans - Purina ALPO Wet Dog Food, Chop House Prime Rib Flavor
- Made with real beef
- Savory juices for added flavor
- Contains high-quality protein sources
- Delivers 100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs
Just a single serving of Purina ALPO offers 23 different vitamins and minerals to help support your dog’s health. Like many other dog food brands, you will find that this contains artificial flavorings, colorings, and animal by-products.
The best part about Purina ALPO is the price. If you’re looking for one of the best wet dog food brands on a budget, look at Purina ALPO. On Amazon, you can get a package of 12 relatively cheaply.
The reviews talk about how cheap it is, and many recommend mixing it with the dry dog food as well. Some do say that it took their dogs a little bit to warm up to the product. Purina ALPO Chop House Best Wet Dog Food has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Amazon.
4. Natural Balance Ultra Premium Wet Dog Food
- Contains 12 - 13 Ounce Cans of Wet Dog Food
- Real beef is the #1 ingredient
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Supports overall health & well-being
- No artificial flavors or colors
This brand uses the highest quality ingredients, which makes it highly healthy and quite tasty. It's one of the best wet dog food brands for easy digestion. It’s full of healthy carbohydrates and omega oils, which is excellent for your dog's skin and fur.With a 4.1 out of 5 on Amazon, it’s clear dogs love it. User reviewers all pretty much unanimously claim their dogs go nuts for the taste of this one.
5. Merrick Classic Grain Free Canned Dog Food
- Grain-Free Nutrition
- #1 Ingredient Is Deboned Beef
- Made With Big Chunks Of Beef In Gravy
- No Artificial Colors, Flavors Or Preservatives
- Cooked In The Usa.
Merrick contains no artificial colors, preservatives, or flavors. It's made exclusively in the U.S. The main ingredient is real meat, so you know you’re at least getting the real deal. You have almost a dozen flavors from which to choose.While only a 3.9 out of 5 on Amazon, independent professional reviewers have given this one high praise. For dogs who are on a grain free diet, this one is definitely worth trying out because of its flavor.
6. Crave High Protein Grain Free Adult Wet Dog Food
- Contains Twelve (12) 12.5 Oz. Cans Of Crave Grain Free Adult Canned Wet Dog Chicken Paté, For Any Size Dog
- Real Chicken Is The First Ingredient: Modern Dogs Thrive On High-Quality Protein
- 99% Of This Recipe'S Protein Comes From Animal Sources, Inspired By The Diets Of Dogs' Wolf Ancestors
- Grain Free Wet Dog Food: Made With No Wheat, Corn, Or Any Other Grain
- Quality Ingredients: No Chicken By-Product Meal, No Corn, Wheat, Or Soy Protein, No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Or Preservatives
Real chicken is the first ingredient. Crave dog food is a trusted and respected brand. You can pick up Crave wet and dry dog food at basically any store. Nearly 100 percent of its ingredients come from animal sources.
As the name suggests, there’s no wheat or grain contained whatsoever, so if your dog is on a grain free diet, this is one of the highest rated options.
On Amazon, Crave Grain Free Wet Dog Food currently holds a 4.0 out of 5. Still, it’s worth noting that several of the Amazon ratings suggest that the dog food may make your dog sick. Although this doesn’t seem to be a widely reported incident.
Most reviewers, in fact, claim the food is perfect for sensitive stomachs.
7. Weruva Grain-Free Canned Dog Food
- Featuring Cage-Free Boneless, Skinless White Breast Meat Chicken
- Minimally Processed And Free Of Grain, Gluten, Gmos, Msgs, Carrageenan And Any Other Bad Stuff. That Means No Corn, Soy, Wheat, Or Artificial Colors Or Preservatives!
- Quality Ingredients You Can See! High Quality Protein Like Cage-Free Boneless Chicken Breast Is Shredded & Hand-Packed Into Each Can For Your Dog To Enjoy!
- Complete And Balanced Diet For Adult Maintenance With Added Vitamins, Minerals, And Antioxidants. Produced In Human Food Facilities Under The Strictest B.R.C. Global Standards For Foods
- Weruva Is A Family Owned Company, Wholly Owned And Operated By Pet Parents David And Stacie Forman
The great news is that this wet dog food is made from cage-free meat. The meat is entirely boneless and authentic. Not only is it grain free, but it’s also free of gluten, GMOs, MSGs, wheat, colorings, corn, and anything artificial.
Weruva has a 4.1 out of 5 on Amazon. The user reviews are generally positive, with reviews saying that their dogs love the flavor and that the food is an excellent change of diet for their dogs.
Almost all of the negative reviews discussed dented cans and thus exposed food. So, always check for dents.
8. Halo Wet Dog Food
- Compare: whole chicken, never any Rendered "meat meal, " like "chicken meal" Or "fish meal"
- Highly digestible wet dog Food; provides the nutritional needs for adult dogs
- Dog food made with whole chicken, nourishing grains, and non-GMO vegetables
- Omega 3 from salmon oil for healthy skin and coat, formulated to help adult dogs maintain muscles and energy level
- Non-gmo vegetables, no artificial colors or flavors, no preservatives of any kind, BPA free cans
Halo is all natural chicken with other natural ingredients, perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs. What sets Halow apart from the other best wet dog food brands is that it contains omega 3 and other fish oils.
It's also rated a 4.2 out of 5 on Amazon. Most of the reviews are excellent, with customers praising how healthy it is for their senior dogs. One customer even claims that their 16-year-old Jack Russell Terrier eats only Halo and is perfectly healthy.
Once again, some bad reviews popped up, reflecting dented and tainted cans. That’s typically not the fault of the dog food manufacturers though. A couple of other complaints were about how the food looked, not the taste or quality itself.
Give Your Dogs Only the Best Wet Dog Food
You love your dog. That’s why they deserve only the best wet dog food. If you’re nervous to try wet dog food, you have no reason to be worried.
Dogs know quality. If you expose them to all-natural, quality ingredients that are healthy and tasty, they’ll never want anything else. But best of all, they just may be the healthiest and happiest they’ve ever been.
What do you think is the best wet dog food? Sound off in the comments below.
Featured Image Source: Unsplash.com