image source: unsplash
If you have a dog, you want to make sure that you take care of him throughout his life. When your dog starts getting older, he's going to have a slightly different set of needs when it comes to nutrition, and you want to make sure to address them. So, it's essential to arm yourself with knowledge about the best senior dog food available.
Of course, no two dogs have the exact same set of needs. That's why you probably want to have any changes to your dog's diet approved by your veterinarian.
However, for the most part, dog food companies formulate foods that are especially good for older dogs. That's why you should know a little bit more about the best senior dog food on the market.
When Does Your Dog Become a Senior?
You may not want to think about the fact that your dog is getting old. Since dogs have much shorter lifespans than humans, it's difficult to think about our beloved pets reaching the stage in their lives when it feels like they were just a puppy not that long ago.
But the truth is that you do need to pay attention to this since your dog's health needs change with age.
Your dog's size
So when should you switch your dog to senior dog food? It actually depends on your individual dog. Smaller dogs tend to live longer and get to the senior stage later.
Small breed dogs, such as Chihuahuas and toy poodles, won't be considered seniors until they're about 10 to 12 years old, while the giant breeds, such as Great Danes, are seniors at 5 or 6. The majority of veterinarians, however, see dogs as seniors once they're about 7 or 8 years old.
Things to keep in mind
Just as is the case with humans, dogs decline with age in terms of stamina and overall health. Their metabolism slows down, and their bodies become less adept at performing normal functions.
Some dogs may have health problems, such as nutrient absorption issues, failing kidneys, or diabetes; in these cases, you should talk to your vet before making any changes to your dog's diet.
There may also be cases where your dog doesn't need to be switched to a senior diet and can just continue to eat regular adult dog food. In any situation, the thing to do is work with your vet to figure out what's best.
What Is Senior Dog Food?
Dogs have slightly different dietary requirements as they age, but it isn't necessary to transform their diets completely. Senior dog food is generally not that different from regular adult dog food. It's usually lower in calories and higher in fiber, but those are the main differences.
Because the metabolism of older dogs is lower, the best senior dog food options will be lower in calories and fat. Obesity is a common problem in senior dogs because their energy requirements go down as they age. Senior dog foods are often formulated to provide older dogs with the nutrition they need without all the calories of regular dog food.
They're higher in fiber because older dogs are more likely to become constipated. Some senior dog foods are also lower in protein, in order to be easier on the kidneys of the older dog.
In some cases, you'll need to give your dog supplements to address his changing nutritional needs. Your vet can examine your dog and let you know if this is the case for you.
It's also important to give your senior dog a lot of water. Their ability to maintain water balance in their bodies goes down as they age. Whatever the best senior dog food for them may be, it needs to come with a steady supply of hydration.
How We Came up with Our List
To come up with the following list of options for the best senior dog food options you can find, we looked at a variety of review sites online. We chose dog food options that appeared multiple times on different lists. We also made sure to include a variety of options, such as both dry and canned foods and different flavors.
If you have an interest in any of the options we present, you can ask your vet which one would be best for your particular dog.
The 10 Best Senior Dog Food Options
If you have an interest in finding the best senior dog food for your dog, there are many options. You should peruse them all, and then make the choice that would be best for your dog.
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles. Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- FOR SENIOR DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula? senior dog food contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help support joint health and overall mobility with essential proteins and carbohydrates to help maintain energy requirements for a healthy lifestyle.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS?: This formula contains BLUE?s exclusive LifeSource Bits ? a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: Formulated for the health and well-being of your dog, BLUE dry dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Senior Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice. Meal Frequency - Small Breed- 1 Meal Per Day. Medium/Large Breed: 2 Meals Per Day.Caloric content: 3,424 kcal/kg, 357 kcal/cup
BLUE is an excellent choice because the manufacturers have specially formulated it to give your senior dog all the nutrition he needs. It provides both proteins to maintain his tissues and healthy carbohydrates for energy, in the form of chicken and brown rice.
BLUE food is easily digestible, with plenty of vitamins and minerals for older dogs. It will help with your dog's immunity function. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which will improve the health of your dog's skin and coat.
If you want to purchase this product, you can go to a variety of online retailers to find it. These include Amazon, where it has a rating of 4.3 out of a possible 5 stars.
- ORIJEN Senior dog food delivers a diet rich and varied in fresh, whole animal ingredients from free-run chicken and turkey, wild-caught fish, and cage-free eggs
- With 85% quality animal ingredients, ORIJEN nourishes dogs according to their natural, biological needs
- Using fresh and raw animal ingredients, including meat, organs, cartilage, and bone, ORIJEN is the Biologically Appropriate, grain-free diet that dogs have evolved to eat
- Our Fresh Regional Ingredients are supplied by people we know and trust, and are delivered to our kitchen fresh or raw, in their most natural and nourishing form
- ORIJEN dog food is made in our DogStar Kitchen, in Kentucky. For more information, please contact our Customer Care team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877.939.0006.
Orijen Senior Dog Food is known for its chelated minerals, meaning that the minerals have been combined with amino acids to form complexes that are rich in nutrition. The chelated minerals also make absorption a lot easier for your dog.
This food also contains chicory root, which is high in inulin content. Inulin is good for your dog's digestion. This food is low in calories while also promoting lean muscle mass.
This formula contains 85 percent animal ingredients and 15 percent plant-based ingredients.
This item has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon, which is one of many online retailers who offer it.
- GRAIN-FREE recipe contains no corn; wheat; soy; white potatoes; tapioca; artificial colors, flavorings or preservatives. Proudly made in the USA.
- HIGH MEAT/LOW CARB proprietary formula 80% animal-based protein for more amino acids and better flavor using fewer carbs and low glycemic ingredients
- Nulo Sr Dry Dog Food more closely resembles your dog's ancestral diet than grain-based carbohydrate formulas. MAY REDUCE food sensitivities or allergies.
- JOINT SUPPORT for dogs with Glucosamine and Chondroitin. These anti-inflammatory properties promote joint flexibility and pain relief.
- PATENTED BC30 PROBIOTIC supports healthy gut flora, aids in food digestion and metabolism regulation. Promotes healthy weight and stamina with L-Carnitine.
This is an excellent choice for your older dog because of its nutritional profile. It contains 80 percent animal-based protein, so it has a high proportion of amino acids. It has a lower amount of carbohydrates as well.
Because it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, it provides great joint support for your senior dog. These anti-inflammatory agents give your dog pain relief if he has joint problems, in addition to flexibility.
This formula also contains L-Carnitine to promote a healthy weight. It also has a probiotic formula that supports healthy gut flora and helps with your dog's digestion.
Those who are interested in purchasing this product can find it on a variety of online retail websites, including Amazon, where it has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
- Unique Digestive Health Support: Formulated With Ideal Protein & Fat To Support A Senior Dog'S Slower Metabolism ;
- Grain Free: Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog.
- Quality Ingredients: Glucosamine Hydrochloride & Chondroitin Sulfate Support Healthy Hips & Joints;
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Corn, Meat By-Products, Artificial Colors, Flavors, Fillers Or Preservatives;
Your dog will love the taste of this natural dog food. In fact, they offer a money-back guarantee in case he doesn't.
This brand hasn't been around for as long as some of the others, only about a decade. However, they have become a choice among the best senior dog food because of everything they have to offer. Just as the name implies, the ingredients are all-natural.
This dog food is supportive of the digestive health of older dogs, with a good mixture of fibers, enzymes, probiotics, and botanicals. It also contains glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin sulfate for strong and healthy hips and joints.
Dog owners who have an interest in this product can find it on Amazon, where it has a rating of 4.3 out of a possible 5 stars, as well as other online retail sites.
- OPTIMAL PROTEIN FOR ALL DOGS: All Life Stages Less Active Formula is crafted with 27% less fat and 10% less protein than our Multi-Protein All Life Stages formula, while still providing an optimal level of nutrition for less active dogs of all breeds and sizes.
- CREATED WITHOUT ANY WHEAT, CORN, or SOY: There's nothing questionable in a bowl of Canidae All Life Stages.
- HEALTHPLUS SOLUTIONS IN EVERY BITE: Probiotics added to every kibble after cooking to support healthy digestion, antioxidants to support a healthy immune system, and omega 6 & 3 fatty acids to support beautiful skin and coat.
- FLAVORS & TYPES: With 5 different varieties there's a Canidae All Life Stages product that your dogs will love.
- WE MAKE PET FOOD SIMPLE: Canidae All Life Stages dog food uses simple, whole-food recipes made right here in our Texas facility. Because pet food shouldn't be complicated.
CANIDAE provides excellent food for dogs and all stages of life. In fact, this food is formulated for dogs at all stages, including seniors.
This particular formula is the less active formula, which makes it ideal for senior dogs. It contains 27 percent less fat and 10 percent less protein than the regular formula.
This dog food also contains antioxidants, probiotics, and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It doesn't have corn, wheat, soy, or other fillers.
This item has earned a rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars on Amazon, which is only one of the online retailers that offer it.
- Grain Free: 100 percent Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Dog
- Senior Formula: Naturally Grain Free, Rich With Delicious Premium Proteins Including Turkey And Chicken Combined With Real Vegetables And Essential Vitamins And Minerals
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Corn, Soy, Meat By Products, Or Artificial Colors, Flavors And Preservatives
- Made In Usa: Backed By The Wellness Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In The Usa
This senior formula is naturally grain-free and has a great nutritional profile. It contains high-quality protein, such as chicken and turkey. It also contains real vegetables, as well as essential vitamins and minerals.
This dog food only has all natural ingredients and doesn't contain fillers, such as meat by-products, wheat, soy, corn, or artificial coloring and flavoring.
If you want to buy this product, you can find it on a variety of online retail sites. One of these is Amazon, where it has a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
- Grain Free: Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition, Back With Our Unique Digestive Support System, For Your Dog.
- Quality Ingredients: A High Quality Pâté Made With The Finest Natural Ingredients, Featuring Premium Protein From Real Salmon, Mackerel & Whitefish.
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Wheat, Soy, Corn, Artificial Colors, Flavors & Preservatives.
- Made In North America: Backed By The Holistic Select Guarantee And Proudly Made Only In North America.
This is a great pâté for the dog who likes a gourmet treat. It contains high-quality natural ingredients. These include real protein sources, such as mackerel, salmon, and whitefish.
This food is grain-free and contains balanced and complete nutrition for your senior dog. It's formulated for optimal digestive health as well.
If you want to buy this item, you can find it on Amazon, where it has a rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars, or from a variety of other online retail sites.
- Contains One (1) 30 Lb. Bag Of Nutro Ultra Senior Dry Dog Food With A Trio Of Proteins From Chicken, Lamb And Salmon (New Look, Same Product - Packaging May Vary)
- Features Trio Of Protein From Chicken, Lamb, And Salmon-Chicken Is The #1 Ingredient-Specially Formulated For Senior Dogs
- Our Premium Dog Food Kibble Is Made With High-Quality Ingredients And Provides Complete And Balanced Nutrition For Senior Dogs In Every Bowl
- Nutro Ultra Dry Dog Food Is Made With High-Quality Protein And Our Blend Of 15 Vibrant Superfoods, Like Coconut, Chia, Kale, Blueberries, And Other Quality Ingredients
- Made With No Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn, Soy, Or Wheat, And No Artificial Flavors, Colors, Or Preservatives
Your dog will enjoy a variety of proteins with this food. It contains salmon, lamb, and chicken. It's made especially for senior dogs, with chicken as the number one ingredient.
In addition to the high-quality protein mix, the food also contains a variety of other superfoods, including blueberries, coconut, kale, and chia. This dog food is free of chicken by-product meal, soy, corn, wheat, or other fillers. It also doesn't have artificial flavoring or coloring, and there are no preservatives.
You can find this item on the sites of different online retailers, including Amazon, where it has a rating of 4.4 out of a possible 5 stars.
- REAL CHICKEN FIRST: This paté style wet dog food features high-quality protein from real chicken to support healthy muscle maintenance
- FEED THREE WAYS: BLUE Homestyle Recipe senior dog food makes a delicious treat, adds interest mixed into their favorite dry foods or can be fed as a meal on its own
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: All BLUE canned dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients and enhanced with vitamins and minerals
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: BLUE wet dog food contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, NO corn, wheat (a common thickening agent used by other brands) or soy, and NO artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains (12) Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Natural Senior Wet Dog Food, Chicken 12.5-oz cans
This canned food is a great choice among the best senior dog food options. The top ingredient is protein-rich chicken with no bones. It also contains hearty whole grains, such as barley and brown rice to meet your dog's carbohydrate needs.
This food has plenty of vitamins and minerals. It also does not contain wheat, as some wet dog foods will since manufacturers like to use it as a thickening agent.
This item is available on multiple retail websites, including Amazon, where it has a rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
- Only quality ingredients used in our products
- Made in the USA
- Health source of vitamins, proteins, fats, and carbs
- No soy
This is an excellent option among the best senior dog food because it's all-natural. The manufacturers make it from cage-free chicken, and it also contains kale, blueberries, quinoa, and other superfood antioxidants. These ingredients help promote strong muscles and protect your dog against diseases.
This food also contains probiotics and chelated minerals, which are great for the gut health of your dog.
If you're looking for this senior dog food, you can find it on various online retail sites, including Amazon, where it's received a rating of 4.1 out of a possible 5 stars.
Food for Thought and Your Dog...
As you've now seen, there are many options if you're looking for the best senior dog food. Of course, you shouldn't switch up your dog's diet without talking to your vet first. Just because a package says it is for senior dogs doesn't mean it'll be right for your senior dog.
When your dog gets older, his health will inevitably decline. However, there are many things that you can do to slow this down as much as possible. Making sure that your dog's diet addresses his needs is one of the things you can do to maintain his health and happiness for as long as possible.
It may not seem like a big deal to some, but every decision counts when it comes to your dog's health. Figuring out what the best senior dog food is for your aging pup could be one of the best things you do. The longer your dog can keep making your home happy, the better!
Do you have anything to say about what we've just told you about the best senior dog food? Let us know by leaving a comment!