Do you frequently walk into your home to discover that there is a strong doggie odor lurking in the atmosphere? If so, you likely need to invest in a good pet odor eliminator.
Pro Pet offers a comprehensive line of pet odor eliminators that work in a variety of ways to help keep your home smelling fresh, even when your pets aren’t always conducive to such an ambience. Below, we will identify some of the reasons that pets make the house smell weird and which Pro Pets products are best for tackling these issues.
Pet Odor Eliminator Comparison Table
What’s That Smell?
There are a number of reasons that pets can create foul odors throughout the home. For example, certain dogs just smell worse than others. Hound dogs are known for having a distinct odor and an unclean dog with wrinkly skin can develop infections that produce unsavory smells.
Below, we will discuss these reasons, and others, in more detail:
Pet dander can smell. While it’s not always visible to the naked eye, the flakes of dead skin that fall from your pet can carry odors or even bacteria with them. If your dog was suffering with a yeast infection or skin allergy outbreak at the time the skin was shed, that odor, too, will follow the shed skin to wherever it winds up.
Frequent vacuuming can go a long way in eliminating this odor risk, but it can’t always be relied on as a stand-alone cure-all.
As mentioned, certain breeds like hound breeds are just naturally smellier. The same is true for certain breeds of cats.
Hairless cats tend to develop odd odors because their dander does not shed properly through fur like other cats. Ferrets and other rodent types typically release smells, as well.
Sometimes these odors cannot be avoided from the source. Instead, we must tackle them where they fall within the home.
Litter boxes, rodent bedding, and accident spots in the carpet can all release smells. It’s hard to get avoid these sources because everything that eats has to eliminate, as well, and anything that eliminates is at risk of an occasional accident.
Proper training and regular cleaning can go a long way, but sometimes a little extra help is required. Fortunately, there are a number of products that will be discussed which can assist in lifting these smells after they have set in.
Proper dental care for your pet can go a long way in helping them smell better. Dental chews and frequent dental exams can make sure your dog or cat’s teeth are not suffering or rotting. Rotting teeth can produce odors that travel throughout the atmosphere of the home.
Animals that go outside stand a chance of tracking in the fun smells they find outdoors. Whether they are rolling in fertilizer rich dirt, they’ve discovered a particularly fun garbage item, or they have committed the ultimate doggie sin of rolling over a carcass, you should always be prepared for the unexpected in terms of the trouble (and general yuckiness) that your pet can get into.
There are products that can eliminate these smells on the spot.
Top Pro Pet Odor Eliminators for Your New Puppy
Below, we will discuss some of our favorite products in the Pro Pet line that are geared specifically as pet odor eliminators. We will talk about what they are, how they work, and when to use them.
- Dog stain cleaner permanently eliminates severe embedded stains, grime, and odors
- Pet stain and odor eliminator dissolves pheromones to prevent repeat soiling
- Best carpet cleaner for pet stains like urine, feces, vomit, blood, grass stains, and more
- Has both a foaming and spraying action to remove solids and liquids
- Pet odor remover that's safe for your pets and your home
Wee Wee Carpet & Fabric is designed to help clean up messes during the process of housebreaking. If your dog poops on the carpet, they are likely to always associate the smell of that carpeted section with the process of using the restroom. This is why it is absolutely pertinent that you get the odor cleaned out immediately and fully.
Wee Wee carpet and Fabric is a pet odor eliminating shampoo that can be used to scrub out the smells fast.
Wee Wee Urine Eliminator is very similar to its previously discussed sister product, except formulated stronger. Urine holds a smell longer than defecation, so it is necessary to use a higher caliber cleaning solution when eliminating that odor.
Wee Wee Air & Litter Box is a product that is designed to be used in the litter box to keep it smelling fresh, even when it has just been used. This is a wonderful product for cat owners, especially if you live in a multiple cat household.
- Houses, Barns, Pets, Livestock, Skunk, Garbage/Compost, Urine, Organic Decay, Smoke, Sewage, Chemicals, Cooking, Mustiness, Sports Equipment, and Saddle Pads.
- For use directly on the source of unwanted odors. Use Odaway 1 Gallon Concentrate for 55 gallon systems½ gallon for 30 gallon systems Mix 1 oz to a qt of water. Odaway 32 oz Ready to use Odaway 15 oz Aerosol Ready to use Odaway 3.4 oz Ready to use
Odaway Ready to Use Odor Absorber is a powder that sprinkles over the carpet. You allow the powder to sit for a prolonged period of time, then you vacuum as usual. The idea is that pet odors in the carpet will find their way upward into the powder and be vacuumed up with the product. This is particularly helpful in cases of foul smelling pet dander.
- Eliminates Ferret odors including glandular secretions urine feces vomit and general body odors.
- Safe to use directly on pets carpeting cages litter pans bedding & furniture to eliminate odors at the source
- The product is Manufactured in United States
- Effects are quick and permanent
- Eliminates Ferret odor including glandular secretion
Ferret & Small Animal Odor Remover is perfect for those smelly rodents that we previously mentioned. If you have a ferret, a guinea pig, a sugar glider, or any other small animal that lets off its own unique musk, this safe and simple to use pet cologne will help.
- 3X STAIN FIGHTING POWER- Simple Solution OXY Charged Pet Stain and Odor Rmover lifts and removes tough pet stains and odors.
- VERSATILE CLEANING - Our patented 3-in-1 trigger sprayer gives you more options to tackle stains and odor with stream, foam, or mist settings.
- FOR DRIED, STUBORN STAINS- Simple Solution Triple-OXY formula penetrates deep and fast to remove tough urine, blood, feces, and vomit stains.
- GREAT FOR MULTIPLE SURFACES - Our Oxy Charged formula works on carpets and most water safe surfaces such as upholstery, bedding, fabric and clothes.
- SAFE FOR USE AROUND PETS - Simple Solution Oxy Stain and Odor Remover is approved by the Carpet & Rug Institue and safe to use around pets, when used as directed.
Simple Solution Oxy Charged Stain & Odor Remover is to be used on carpets or upholstery when there is not only a lingering odor, but also a lingering stain. You can clean up the appearance of your home while also pulling out the smell that caused the problem area to begin with.
- 100% All Natural High Quality Foods
- Made in the USA
- Product tested and ensured for safety and good health
- Virtually eliminate small animal litter box and body odors with GoodBye Odor
- 100-Percent natural supplement deodorizes your pet's stool, urine, and body odors
Goodbye Odor Small Animal Waste Deodorizer is a product that mixes into the bedding of small animals to help eliminate the smell of their waste between cage cleanings. It is made from all-natural dried ingredients so that they are safe for use around your pet.
Papaya Mist Deodorizing Spray is a cologne designed specifically for smelly dogs. It works well on dogs with hound lineage as a daily precautionary measure to keep them from smelling too “doggy” and spreading that smell throughout the day. This one leaves a fresh, fruity, and airy scent.
- Keep your box first day fresh longer
- Moisture activated scent released when cat uses litter box
- Perfect for everyday use to quickly freshen up cat litter box
- Baking soda destroys odors instantly
- Convenient 30 ounce box
Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer is sprinkled into the cat’s litter box to help eliminate and cover up orders between scoops and cleanings. There is an added bonus to this product- it works as a clumping agent, which means the box is not only better smelling, but easier to clean!
- Concentrated and specifically formulated to effectively remove odors caused by skunks
- For use on pets, including horse and other large animals, carpet, upholstery and in the car
- Biodegradable natural based ingredients
- Helps to permanently remove the toughest and strongest odors, including cat urine and smell
- Great as a carpet or spot cleaner
Skunks Etc is to be used for a reason that has not yet been discussed- run ins with our smelly wildlife friends. Anyone that has ever had a dog get sprayed by a skunk knows that the smell that results is something that can’t even be described. It is also incredibly hard to get rid of.
Before you go searching online for solutions involving tomato juice, peroxide, or other household items that are likely not going to work, reach for one that you know will.
Skunks Etc works fast and effectively to get rid of the smell of a skunk spray and should be kept on hand as a precautionary measure for anyone with a dog that enjoys a wildlife chase.
Eco Bedding with Odor Control is small animal bedding that already has the odor eliminators built in. Because the odor eliminators are there, this bedding is often advertised as longer lasting. This should be ignored, however, because even the manufacturer recommends that you continue to change the bedding on your usual schedule.
- Designed for cat messes - Simple Solution cat stain and odor remover is specifically formulated to eliminate tough cat odors and stains, such as urine, feces, and vomit.
- Unique pro-bacteria formula - This stain and odor remover has a unique pro-bacteria and enzyme formula that eliminates stains and odors, and helps prevent repeat marking
- Multiple USES - SAFELY removes dog and cat stains and odors from carpet, upholstery, bedding, fabric toys, clothing, and other water-safe surfaces in your home.
- Versatile cleaning - Our Patented 3-in-1 nozzle sprayer gives you more options to tackle stains and odor: stream, foam, or mist.
- MADE IN THE USA - Simple Solution Cat Stain & Odor Remover is proudly manufacture red in the USA.
Simple Solution Cat Stain and Odor Remover is specifically geared toward odors that are attributed to our feline friends. Cats are particularly foul smelling when they decide to mark their territory on furniture, walls, or other surfaces. This is a particularly taxing problem with male cats that have not been neutered.
- Fresh smelling formula safely cleans and deodorizes cages for fast acting and long lasting results
- Safe to use for small animal habitats
- Regular use of Clean Cage will contribute to the quality care your pet needs and deserves
- Medium size 16-ounce easy to hold bottle has trigger pump action
Clean Cage Habitat Deodorizer is a deodorizing device that is installed into the cage of small animals to absorb the smells before they permeate throughout the house and atmosphere. You can use this product safely with all animals, however you will want to ensure that your pet is not able to gain access to the contents by chewing or other means.
Anything, if ingested in quantity, can be dangerous.
What if the Smell Doesn’t Improve?
If your pet is particularly foul smelling and the odor doesn’t get better after you deploy new health and hygiene protocols, it might be time to visit your vet. Skin allergies can cause problems that should be treated quickly. Occasionally, pets will also acquire infections or bowel disease that can cause them to smell without much sign of other symptoms.
Making sure that your pet is getting the best care possible all the time is as important as making sure your house smells good. One problem can and often is tied to the other. Don’t’ forget your pet’s overall health in the quest for a more pleasant household ambience.
Keep Things Smelling Fresh and Clean
There are a number of reasons why pets can make the house smell badly. Everything from skin allergies and infections to good old-fashioned flatulence and dirt can create an atmosphere in your home that is uninviting and hard to cover up.
Most of the time, these are hygiene issues that are easily solved by changing your cleaning habits. Occasionally, however, you will need to enlist the help of your veterinarian.
Thanks to the products listed in this article, though, you can likely find relief from this situation and move forward with a fresher and more welcoming home.