Top 6 Best Pro Pet Supplies Dog Brush Options
Grooming your dog is a vital part of keeping your dog happy and healthy, as well as keeping their fur from shedding too much.
Proper grooming keeps your dog’s nails, skin, eyes, ears, tail, teeth, and coat healthy and well-maintained.
We have compiled a list of some of the best dog brush options to assist with grooming and brushing your dog’s fur.
Importance of Grooming
Grooming and brushing your dog with a dog brush can help you keep an eye out for any irregularities, such as lumps or bumps, that might be hidden beneath their fur.
If you let their fur go too long in between grooming, you might miss the start of these irregularities and will not be able to get them checked out by a veterinarian.
Grooming will also help to keep your household cleaner and more sanitary, as proper grooming will help keep fur and dander from shedding all over the place.
The reason for this is that brushing a dog’s fur helps loosen dead hairs that would otherwise fly all over the house. It can also help to detangle any matted hair that could continue to get tangled.
This can also be important if members in your household have allergies to dogs, as a buildup of dander can cause allergy flare-ups.
Grooming is also a great way to make a routine with your dog and bond with them, all while giving them some one on one time to cuddle with you.
There truly is no downside to taking some time out of your day to groom your dog.
What brushes will get the job done? We found some of the best options available on the market today.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We want to make sure you are well-informed when choosing the best dog brush, so we consulted various sources online and read online reviews to ensure you are being presented with the best information.
Types of Dog Brushes for Grooming
The type of brush you use for grooming your dog will vary depending on the breed of dog you own, as well as what you are hoping to accomplish during grooming.
For instance, you may not want to use a rubber brush meant for shampooing dog fur if you are wanting to detangle your dog’s hair.
The best option can be to have various types of brushes that you can use and swap out depending on what you need.
The different types are as follows:
The curry comb has rubber bristles that will help to gently clean and massage your dog. It will also help to remove dirt and buildup.
Bristles will help to move easily through your dog’s fur and smooth and distribute natural oils throughout your dog’s hair.
Thicker bristles like those on this brush help to gently lather and massage shampoo through your dog’s fur. It can also work to gently massage your dog.
This brush helps to safely detangle your dog’s hair, while also providing comfort for your dog’s skin.
The stainless-steel pins on this brush will help to reach deep into your dog’s coat without hurting their skin. It is also ideal for dogs with longer fur.
A slicker brush will help to detangle your dog’s fur and remove the undercoat without causing discomfort. It will also help to reduce shedding.
Tips for Grooming your Dog
When you are grooming your dog at home, there are different methods to ensure you are getting the most out of the at-home grooming process.
No matter which type of brush you decide to purchase, there are different precautions you can take using each type of brush to ensure you not only get the most out of it, but that you are not harming or injuring your dog in the process of grooming them at home.
Here are some tips for brushing your dog’s fur at home:
Start at your dog’s head, taking care to use a lighter touch around their eyes, ears, and mouth. If your dog has large tangles around their ears, you may want to use a washcloth dipped in detangling solution to help get some of the tangles out before combing.
Using a soft slicker brush, you can use a comb to brush through the hair around their neck (down, then back in place).
Remember that your dog’s underbelly is especially sensitive, so avoid using any type of hard bristles on this area. Instead, use a slicker brush to comb fur into place.
If your dog has a long tail, you will need to use a comb to tame this area. If there are any matted or tangled areas, use detangling solution before combing it out. If your dog has a short tail, you will not need to worry about this step.
Remember to make this experience enjoyable for your pup and they will tend to be more cooperative along the way. Provide lots of ear scratches, tummy rubs, and maybe even a treat to encourage your dog to stay still and enjoy the “spa day”.
Top 6 Best Dog Brushes
- Two-sided dog brush with bristles and round-tip pins
- Breaks up mats and tangles and removes dead undercoat
- Ergonomic handle with grooved grip for extra comfort and control
- Suitable for use on larger breeds with all coat lengths
- Leaves your dog's coat looking shiny and lustrous
The Oster Combo Brush for Dogs is two-sided – one side with bristles and the other side with round-tip pins.
It helps to break up mats and tangles and to remove dead undercoat.
The ergonomic handle has a grooved grip for extra comfort and control, which is especially important for larger dogs that might require longer grooming time.
It will leave your dog’s fur feeling soft and shiny.
The brush received over 700 positive reviews on Amazon and has a 4.3-star rating; however, some reviewers mention that it can be hard to clean fur out of the brush.
- It removes loose hair like a magnet, and it stimulates capillaries and natural oil production for healthy skin and a healthy coat.
- Perfect for removing hair and use with shampoo
- Massages while you brush
- Comes in two colors: raspberry and boysenberry
- Available in two sizes: small/puppy and regular
Curry brushes such as this one are made out of rubber and are great for removing dead and loose hairs from your dog’s coat.
These types of brushes are also great for reaching sensitive places on your dog, such as their ears.
It will help remove loose hairs while grooming or bathing your dog, as well as stimulate capillaries and promote natural oil production for healthy skin and coat.
It can be used while shampooing to help lather up shampoo and wash your dog’s scalp and massages while you brush for the ultimate comfort for your dog.
This brush received over 2,000 reviews on Amazon and has an overall 4.5-star rating; however, some reviewers stated that it would not be the best dog brush if you are trying to detangle hairs.
Although it states that it can also be used as a dog toy, it might not hold up if your dog chews on it too much.
- THE PERFECT BRUSH TO GET ALL NASTY MATS OUT OF YOUR PET'S FUR - Hertzko's Slicker Brush gently removes Loose Hair, and eliminates Tangles, Knots, Dander and trapped Dirt. WORKS GREAT ON DOGS AND CATS WITH ALL SIZES AND HAIR TYPES!
- GET RID OF MATS WITHOUT HURTING HER - The bristles are FINE bent wires designed to penetrate DEEP into the coat and is really able to groom the undercoat well without scratching your pet's skin!
- EASY TO CLEAN - When you're done brushing your pet, Simply click the button and the bristles retract back into the brush, Making is SUPER SIMPLE to remove all the hair from the brush, So it's ready for the next time use.
- YOUR PET WILL NOT ONLY 'LOOK' GOOD BUT 'FEEL' GREAT TOO! - Our brush Grooms and massages for a healthy coat, increasing blood circulation and leaves your pet's coat soft and shiny. Your Pet will love being brushed !
- COMFORTABLE, STRONG, AND DURABLE- Our Slicker Brush is especially designed with a COMFORT-GRIP and ANTI-SLIP HANDLE, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long you brush your pet !
Slicker brushes are commonly used for detangling fur with their fine wire bristles.
The bristles on a slicker brush help to reach deep beneath a dog’s coat to help loosen dead hairs and pull dirt and dander out without hurting or scratching your dog in the process.
The bristles on this brush help to gently remove tangles, knots, dander, and dirt trapped in your dog’s fur, as well as reach deep onto your dog’s undercoat without scratching their skin.
Once you are done brushing your dog’s fur, press the button on the top of the brush and the bristles will retract, allowing you to remove all the fur.
The brush contains comfort grip technology, which will help prevent wrist and hand strain during grooming, as well as preventing any slipping if using it during a bath.
It has over 5,000 reviews on Amazon and a 4.7-star rating; however, some reviewers stated that it may not be best to use on dogs that have finer coats.
- Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and undercoat
- FURejector button releases hair with ease
- Ergonomic handle for comfort and easy use
- Remove loose hair without damaging the coat or cutting the skin when used as directed
- deShedding tool for large (51-90 lbs) dogs with long hair
When you own a dog, it is typically anticipated that there will be shedding, no matter what type of breed you have.
Luckily, when you use a de-shedding tool such as the Furminator, you can remove the hairs on the dog’s undercoat that were about to shed, which will help reduce overall shedding.
The Furminator claims to reduce shedding by about 90% by reaching through the dog’s topcoat to safely remove loose hair from the undercoat.
The FURejector button on the Furminator will cause the bristles to retract and allow for the fur to be removed from the dog brush.
It has an ergonomic handle that allows for comfort during use, and it is designed for use with larger dogs (51-90 pounds).
It has over 11,000 reviews on Amazon and a 4.6-star rating; however, some reviewers stated that it tends to pull at knots and tangles in the fur, which could cause discomfort for your dog. To avoid this, you may want to use a detangling brush prior to using the Furminator to remove tangles.
- FORGET ABOUT SHEDDING! - Our Glove easily removes loose pet hair and tangles so no fur goes flying.
- REMOVE HAIR FROM FURNITURE! - Glove's velour side effectively cleans fur from furniture & carpets
- PETS LOVE GLOVE! - Rubber tips provide gentle relaxing massage. Petting is better than pet chasing!
- FOR SHORT, MEDIUM & LONG COAT - Extra gentle for daily grooming. Perfect for sensitive & young pets.
- GET RID OF HAIR MESS... or GET A REFUND - we'll send your money back in case you don't love the glove
If you are looking for an alternative to a typical dog brush, but would still like to be able to remove dead and loose fur, we recommend trying this 2-in-1 pet glove.
This pet glove fits comfortably over your hand and is covered in soft bristles to help remove fur.
It can also be used to easily remove fur and hair from furniture by wearing it and simply swiping your hand over any areas.
It can be used for short, medium, and long-coated dogs.
They offer a money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied with it.
The dog brush glove has over 2,000 reviews on Amazon and has a 4.3-star rating; however, some reviewers mentioned that it does not work the best for dogs with thicker fur.
- PALM BRUSH FOR DOGS: During shampooing, thick bristles gently massage & stimulate the coat & help evenly distribute pet-care products for healthy looking, shiny fur. Can also be used as a massager.
- EASY TO USE: ConairPRO Dog & Cat Pet-It brushes are made to fit seamlessly in the palm of your hand. Great for animals who are scared of large brushes, these brushes also work for grooming cats!
- PET GROOMING SUPPLIES: Grooming your cat or dog is easy when you have the right tools. We make professional-quality brushes, shears, clippers, nail grinders & more to keep your pet looking great!
- MADE TO LAST: ConairPRO Dog & Cat pet grooming tools are designed with high-quality materials for durability & performance. Our brushes, combs, shedding tools, nail grinders & more are made to last!
- SHARE THE LOVE: From slicker brushes, shedding tools & shampoo brushes to full home grooming kits, ConairPRO Dog & Cat makes quality grooming supplies & products to help you take care of your cat or dog.
This brush easily cups in your hand to allow for quick and easy use during shampooing or grooming.
This brush contains thick bristles that will help massage your dog while stimulating hair follicles and removing dead and loose hair.
It will help distribute product evenly throughout your dog’s coat.
It is available in six different brush styles: Curry Comb, Boar Bristle Brush, Shampooing Massage Brush, Soft Slicker Brush, Metal Pin Brush, Slicker Brush.
It has over 700 reviews on Amazon and a 4-star rating; however, some of the reviewers stated that the brush is too small to use on larger breeds of dogs. You might consider using it for smaller areas of larger dogs or if you have a smaller breed of dog.
Price & Rating
4.8 x 1.6 x 2.9 inches
5.8 x 3 x 10 inches
1.8 x 4.2 x 6 inches
9.8 x 5.1 x 0.6 inches
4 x 2.8 x 5.5 inches
Which Brush to Choose?
We think each of the options above are great options for grooming your dog, and they all help to fill different grooming needs.
The type of brush that is going to work best for your grooming needs might not be best for other people’s grooming needs.
It will always be dependent on what type of grooming you are looking to complete and what breed of dog you own.
Each of the brushes above is also very affordable – ranging from five dollars to twenty-five dollars and will last a long time.
We recommend trying them out, mixing and matching, and finding what type of brush works best for you.
The added benefit if you purchase any of them from Amazon is that Amazon has an excellent return policy and will assist you with replacing or refunding your item if you are not completely satisfied with it or it does not work for you.
While you might want to get your dog professionally groomed on a regular basis, having these tools at home can help you to maintain grooming results in between and help your dogs to keep cool, stay healthy, and feel great.